Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Position Title: Communications Assistant
Salary Range: 35,000 to 45,000
Associate or bachelor’s degree in a field related to communications, marketing, writing, or technology, with a background or knowledge of STEM related content is preferred.
Strong writing and design skills are required, plus demonstrated ability in design and web related software such as Adobe suite or similar, WordPress, MailChimp (or other email marketing service). A working understanding of Microsoft Office suite is essential (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as is a willingness to learn other software packages.
The individual must be able to work independently as well as be a supportive team member for multiple teams. Must be able to manage priorities with tight deadlines and be able to take and accept direction from supervisor and senior staff.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to disseminate information, ask questions when needed, and maintain ownership of a project is essential. Demonstrated ability to work with external contractors is desirable.
Purpose of the Position
The Communications Assistant will support MMSA through the maintenance of the organization’s websites, social media presence and marketing and communication campaigns. This position may support the organization by providing design services related to the job. The position also supports the internal IT systems through managing software licenses and coordinating support via an external supplier.
- Work with the communications team providing input, incorporating advice, and following directions to produce a wide range of materials for dissemination on the web and through other means, including press releases, brochures, articles, and social media posts
- Assist with the planning, curation, creation, and scheduling of organizational content to drive engagement through the MMSA website, social media presence, and email campaigns.
- Develop, update, and produce website content in partnership with other staff on a regular basis
- Develop, produce and release monthly newsletters.
- Rework written materials for use in social and other media.
- In association with the communications team, develop MMSA’s social media presence and brand that includes Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Provide low level technical support for staff using PC and Mac computers, printers, and other equipment such as video cameras. Troubleshoot basic issues.
- Create web and social media analytics reports to support the decision-making processes and to improve marketing strategies.
- Liaise as needed with our external technology consultant to oversee the maintenance of the MMSA technology infrastructure, including website hosting and domain management, mail system, and backup systems.
- Keep track of new and existing hardware and software within the organization, and ensure that OS and software updates are completed in a timely manner.
- Manage the contracts required for general IT support, virtual meeting support, web hosting, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to MMSA staff and projects as needed.
The successful candidate will be expected to attend monthly staff meetings and other meetings as deemed necessary. Full-time staff members are required to be in MMSA’s Augusta office a minimum of two days per week.
Please send a letter of interest that provides evidence of the requirements above and resume by email to email@example.com or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Suite 3, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by August 18, to ensure full consideration.