Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) is seeking a Math Specialist who is looking to join a growing education non-profit. MMSA (www.mmsa.org) is a unique organization in Augusta, Maine, whose mission is to increase aspirations and improve performance in K-16 STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education, both in and outside of school.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $65,000
- A BA/BS in math education or related field is required, with a strong preference for a master’s degree or math coaching experience.
- Math teaching experience or curriculum development at the K-8 level school level is required, with an emphasis on teaching/writing curricula about data.
- Past experience providing math professional development with adults is preferred.
- Capacity to listen carefully and ask clarifying questions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Capable of working independently and remotely
- Ability to work with software such as Microsoft Excel and Word; cloud-based systems such as box.com, Google drive, and Airtable; and our video conferencing application Zoom.
- At least 3-5 years experience required.
- Experience and understanding of computer science and how it integrates in STEM disciplines
- Experience supporting educators in how to implement scientific research in the classroom (including data analysis)
The Math Specialist will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person and will be expected to travel as necessary (including overnights) to deliver professional development at locations elsewhere in Maine or nationally (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired.
Purpose of the Position
The Math Specialist will work closely with the middle/high school Math Specialist to provide focused professional development and math coaching to educators. This position will join the team for the Experiential Math Project, math coaching, and general math professional development consulting.
- Design math professional development and coaching activities
- Implement math professional development and coaching in formal and informal STEM education settings
- Work closely with all team members to build inter-program relationships and projects
- Manage external relationships with project and consulting partners
- Coordinate meetings and professional development opportunities with partners
- Build capacity of the organization in math coaching and professional development offerings
- Possible work with other team members on computer science professional development
Please send a letter of interest that demonstrates qualifications, resume, and three academic or professional references by email to HR@mmsa.org or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by August 31, 2018 to ensure full consideration.