Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
The Maine Math & Science Alliance (MMSA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that finds inspiring new ways to get people excited about science, technology, engineering and math today, so that our youth can become the innovators and workforce of tomorrow. MMSA supports educators to teach science, technology, engineering and math in more meaningful ways by:
- Developing professional development experiences for K-12 educators
- Conducting research and evaluation of STEM learning experiences
- Building relationships and networks to sustain systemic statewide improvement
MMSA offers a work culture that is team oriented, and welcomes a hybrid work from home and office work schedules, and is rooted in the belief that high quality professional development and programming can influence the future of our state. MMSA staff includes some of the best talent in STEM education, including researchers and curriculum specialists. Thanks to a grant from the National Science Foundation, MMSA is opening a search for a full-time staff position.
Position Title: STEM Education Specialist – Gaming & Technology
Bachelor’s degree is required in a field related to science and/or technology education, preference given to individuals with experience in science communication and/or computer science. It is recommended that candidates be extremely comfortable learning new technological applications. This position will focus on leveraging a variety of educational technology, including but not limited to—coding, augmented reality, and digital storytelling—into experiential education opportunities for youth and adults in out-of-school learning environments.
This position requires the skills necessary to convene, organize, monitor and conduct professional development/training activities for educators, youth, and community members.
Purpose of the Position
The STEM Education Specialist in computer science will be an integral team member and serve as the organizational representative in many computer science initiatives including the National Science Foundation funded STEMports project and our code.org professional development. This position will serve as the project associate for the STEMports project and will be supervised by the project manager. The work will entail partnering with community members, developing training materials, communicating to participants through regular email newsletters, ensuring systems are maintained and providing data and reports to the team as required.
The right candidate will have the opportunity to deepen his/her skills in computer science education methods, program development, integration technology into informal education, participatory research methods, and science communication, under the mentorship of the principal investigators.
– Design project activities
– Deliver project activities and support materials for all project participants
– Work closely with project partners to deliver the project
– Learn a new technological platform and train/support other users
– Coordinate communication to participants through emails, newsletters, zoom conferences etc
– Assist with equipment ordering, equipment registers and management
– Assists in writing reports as needed
– Other duties as assigned
- Experience in technology, computer science, and/or STEM education.
- Ability to learn a new computer science tools and train others to do the same.
- Prior experience facilitating training sessions for a wide group of community members – youth, teachers, scientists, business owners etc.
- Experience working with diverse learners in a rural setting
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences through emails and newsletters.
- Detail-oriented with experience keeping and maintaining complex lists of participants, equipment etc.
- Working knowledge of a range of software packages including Microsoft Office, Airtable, Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and a be familiar with working on Apple products (laptops, iphones, ipads etc).
- Ability to work in a telecommuting-based team with a wide range of personalities and interests.
- Experience with Augmented Reality (AR) or other place-based geolocated online gaming would be preferred.
- Experience working with WordPress and other web or mobile app development would be preferred
The STEM Specialist will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person, and will be expected to travel occasionally, including rare overnights, to locations elsewhere in Maine (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired, with the approval of their supervisor.
Suggest salary range: $40,000-55,000
Please send a letter of interest that outlines your experience against each of the selection criteria above and resume by email to email@example.com or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Suite 3, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by October 19 at 5 pm, to ensure full consideration.