Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Position Title: STEM Education Specialist in Technology Education – 1.0 FTE – $45k to $55k
- Bachelor’s degree is required in any STEM or technology education related field, preference given to individuals with master’s degrees or higher
- Experience leveraging educational technology, coding, augmented reality, robotics and/or digital storytelling into experiential education opportunities for youth
- Interest in linking STEM with the arts and technology education
Purpose of the Position
This position will play a pivotal role in developing collaborations between the technology and arts education networks across Maine. In partnership with the project PI team, the Technology Education Specialist will coordinate all aspects of the AR (Augmented Reality) Girls project – serving as the project manager. The project develops an educational model targeted at rural girls and young women with low or no prior interest in STEM to design Augmented Reality (AR) environments. This project test innovative ways to address the disparity in female participation in science and informational communication technology (ICT) fields to increase the diversity of those who consider science and information and communication technology (ICT) careers.
This position will also work be a part of the MMSA’s Reach project team as they identify technology education and computer science learning opportunities for youth out of the classroom environment, specially in competitions. Special emphasis will be placed on leveraging fun and hands on STEM learning to meet the needs of under-represented youth and those that might not identify as interested in STEM education.
The STEM Education Specialist candidate will have the opportunity to deepen his/her skills in program development, integration of arts and technology into informal education, participatory research methods, and science communication, under the mentorship of the principal investigator of the projects.
- Partners with the project team on the vision and overall outcomes for projects
- Manages the day to day needs of projects and designs project activities
- Coordinates the overall project that includes scheduling PI and research team meetings, recruiting and communicating with participants, serving as liaison between the PIs, arts centers, working closely with partner organizations, and assisting with the design of curriculum, online materials, and professional development for participants
- Assists in the design of project handbook and associated AR Girls materials
- Manages project partnerships
- Implements project activities and trainings with youth and adult participants
- Serve as the core contact for all AR Girls project participants including students, scientists, project partners, arts centers and liaisons, and parents
- Provides training for all arts educators, community partners, and partner art organizations in the AR Girls project
- Budget management and day to day expenses for the project
- Presents at conferences or meetings about the project as needed
- Assists in writing reports as needed
- Contributes to proposals as needed
- Experience in STEM education, specifically coordinating projects with informal learning partners
- Prior experience leading STEM activities for youth and adults – experience with digital storytelling, coding, and/or augmented reality preferred
- Preference given for individuals that have had experience linking computer science and technology education with the arts
- Experience with education equity-focused programming
- A clear understanding of rural education and the challenges and opportunities that presents
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences through in-person relationship-building, emails, and newsletters
- Organized, detail-oriented with experience managing complex project work
- Working knowledge of a range of software packages including Zoom video conference, Microsoft Office, Airtable, and familiarity with working on Apple products (laptops, iphones, ipads etc)
- Ability to work in a virtual office environment, collaborating with a wide range of personalities and interests
- Comfort using video-conferencing technologies such as Zoom, and troubleshooting such technology with PD participants
- Team player that complements the expertise of MMSA’s staff
The STEM Specialist will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person, and will be expected to travel occasionally, including rare overnights, to locations elsewhere in Maine (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired, with the approval of their supervisor
Please send a letter of interest that outlines your experience against each of the selection criteria above and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Suite 3, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by Friday, Feb 8th, 2019 to ensure full consideration.
The Maine Math & Science Alliance (MMSA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that finds inspiring new ways to get people excited about science, technology, engineering and math today, so that our youth can become the innovators and workforce of tomorrow. MMSA supports educators to teach science, technology, engineering and math in more meaningful ways by:
- Developing professional development experiences for K-12 educators
- Conducting research and evaluation of STEM learning experiences
- Building relationships and networks to sustain systemic statewide improvement
MMSA offers a work culture that is very team oriented, welcomes a mix of working-from-home and from-the-office work schedules, and is rooted in the belief that high quality professional development models and programming for educators can influence the future of our state and the nation. MMSA staff includes some of the best talent in STEM education, including researchers and curriculum specialists. 10% 401k match, 4 paid weeks vacation, excellent health and dental benefits.