Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
The Maine Math & Science Alliance (MMSA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that finds inspiring new ways to get people excited about science, technology, engineering and math today, so that our youth can become the innovators and workforce of tomorrow. MMSA supports educators to teach science, technology, engineering and math in more meaningful ways by:
- Developing professional development experiences for K-12 educators
- Conducting research and evaluation of STEM learning experiences
- Building relationships and networks to sustain systemic statewide improvement
Position Title: Programs Assistant
- Undergraduate degree and/or related experience in administrative and logistical support.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience with event coordination
- Demonstrated experience in computer usage and applications
- Ability to follow directions, ask questions, and follow through with a project giving attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication
- Rigorous attention to detail is essential for success in this position.
Purpose of the position:
The role is critical to the success and the smooth running of the MMSA. This position will work closely with all programmatic and administrative staff to coordinate program activities, events, trainings, meeting, etc; provide critical support for the operation of the programs of the organization which includes administrative, logistical and other support functions. This position will have the opportunity to work with individuals across the organization providing support to all programs and interacting with our constituents from across the country.
- Event coordination (including workshops, meetings, professional development engagements, conferences, project advisory meetings, summer institutes, summits and symposiums): Event planning in partnership with project staff; catering and site logistics; reviewing contracts and invoices; registration processes; support for locally run events, workshops and meetings, event follow up (creating certificates, emailing participants, replenishing supplies, etc.).
- General programmatic support (copy materials, generating material packages, sending out packages, generating emails and posts, generating and sending emails about programmatic activities, organizing virtual program files).
- Maintain all electronic event files which includes participant lists, rsvp’s, attendance, certificates, etc.
- Manage the organization of the storage room and inventory (general materials, equipment, project kits, etc.).
- Order, track and distribute materials for event, workshop, and meeting use.
- Coordinate event and workshop marketing with program managers and the communications team.
- Meet at least monthly with each project manager to assess upcoming event, workshop, and meeting needs.
- Maintain the events database including caterers, vendors, venues.
- Work closely with programs and communications teams to continually update programmatic materials on mmsa.org website.
Other Essential Needs:
- Be an effective and efficient member of the operations team.
- Maintain good communications with staff and constituents.
- Be proactive about assisting staff and constituents.
- Detail orientation with follow through.
This position will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person and will be expected to travel occasionally (including rare overnights) at locations elsewhere in Maine or nationally (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired.
Please send a letter of interest, resume and three academic or professional references by email to HR@mmsa.org or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by Monday, December 16, 2019 to ensure full consideration.