The Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance is a small non-profit organization based in Augusta, ME. We develop and apply research and best practices in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. MMSA’s special strength is rooted in building relationships among schools, organizations, individuals, and communities to advance STEM education in Maine and the nation.
MMSA offers a work culture that is very team oriented, welcomes a mix of working-from-home and in-office work schedules, and is rooted in the belief that high quality professional development and programming can influence the future of our state. MMSA staff has some of the best talent in STEM education, including researchers and curriculum specialists. We offer an excellent compensation package that includes vacation and sick time, 401(k) plans and more.
Job Title: Website Management & Communication Specialist
Department: Operations and Communications Team
Supervisor: Operations Director
Salary Range: $40,000 – $55,000
Purpose of the Position:
We are looking for an experienced and creative Communication Specialist with Web Design expertise to join our team. As a Communication Specialist, you will be responsible for developing and implementing our website and general communications strategy to increase our online brand. You will be working closely with the Communications Team to create and execute all web design strategy across the organization web assets, including individual project websites. This position will work closely with project staff to develop and maintain project websites, coordinate monthly newsletters, and generate organizational print and digital collateral. Broad communication skills would be valuable in this position. This position at MMSA will be an essential part of sharing our story with educators, funders, and the public interested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The right candidate will have the ability to interpret a project’s communication needs, write/develop website elements, craft appropriate graphics and manage all regular updates.
The person will:
- Be an integral member of the Operations Team.
- Work closely with the Communication Team to coordinate ongoing communication efforts on our website platforms.
- Write communications/marketing content for a variety of uses (websites, newsletters, etc).
- Develop and update/manage WordPress-based websites, including CSS coding, plugins such as Elementor, and other needs as they arise.
- Use website marketing and functionality tools to create and maintain MMSA’s brand and grow capacity.
- Work with project leads to implement web design strategies.
- Work with the communication team to plan, oversee and communicate a website updating calendar to all staff for all website assets.
- Work as part of a team to create a web presence strategy to help identify strategic weaknesses and make recommendations for improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
The Communication Specialist will be responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring MMSA’s website assets and managing all in order to increase brand awareness, improve fundraising efforts and increase participation in our programs. The ideal candidate will have web design expertise in addition to broad communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred or an equivalent of experience in the field of website design and/or communications for at least 3-5 years.
- Demonstrated detailed experience managing WordPress-based websites.
- Ability to work with cascading style sheets (CSS) and PHP is preferred.
- Experience working with website plugins such as Elementor, LearnDash, etc. is preferred.
- Strong writing skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with project staff to understand their website needs.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, write, and prepare newsletter and other communication/marketing materials.
- Experience in Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator); MailChimp (or other email marketing service); Microsoft Office Suite; database software (such as AirTable); and a willingness to learn new software packages.
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences.
- Detail oriented and able to manage many projects at once — prioritization of tasks is a must.
- Ability to work in a telecommuting-based team with a wide range of personalities and interests.
Full time benefits include, but are not limited to:
- 76-100% Employer Sponsored Health Plans, up to family coverage or optional generous cash-in-lieu
- Employer-paid family dental, family vision, Life, STD, LTD, FMLA and Parental Leave
- Up to 10% 401K match
- 13 paid holidays
- Paid time off for birthday and floating holiday for religious purposes
- 20 paid vacation days
- 15 paid sick days
How to apply: Please send a letter of interest that outlines your experience against each of the selection criteria above and resume by email to email@example.com or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, PO Box 2246, Augusta, ME 04338.
Materials should be submitted by May 27th, 2022 to ensure full consideration.