The Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance is a small non-profit organization based in Augusta, ME. We develop and apply research and best practices in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. MMSA’s special strength is rooted in building relationships among schools, organizations, individuals, and communities to advance STEM education in Maine and the nation.
MMSA offers a work culture that is very team oriented, welcomes a mix of working-from-home and in-office work schedules, and is rooted in the belief that high quality professional development and programming can influence the future of our state. MMSA staff has some of the best talent in STEM education, including researchers and curriculum specialists. We offer an excellent compensation package that includes vacation and sick time, 401(k) plans and more.
Job Title: Research Associate
Department: Research Team
Supervisor: Research Team Lead
Salary Range: $40,000 – $55,000
Purpose of the Position:
The research associate will work closely and collaborate with MMSA’s research team, principal investigators, and project managers to facilitate the research objectives of the projects they will be assigned. The Associate will have the opportunity to utilize a range of specialized skills in program and research design methods, including collecting and analyzing various types of data and engaging youth and professionals in impactful and enjoyable STEM learning activities.
The Research Associate will work closely with project teams across MMSA which may include the Teach ME Outside, STEM Workforce Ready 2030, and WeatherBlur teams, in addition to other research and evaluation projects as needed across MMSA’s work in STEM education. This person will provide support to projects by assisting with instrument development, survey administration and interviews, observations and in-person data collection, data management, and data analysis-including both qualitative and quantitative analyses focusing on research in environmental education, citizen science, and computer science integration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Research Associate will have the opportunity to design many aspects of research and evaluation studies in partnership with programs staff and other stakeholders, including data collection and analysis. Studies use a range of data collection methods, including surveys, focus groups, and in-person and virtual interviews with youth and adults.
The Associate will work either individually or with other MMSA staff to:
- Design and maintain data-collection tools and instruments
- Maintain quality controls standards to preserve the integrity of data and findings
- Conduct effective interviews with various stakeholders and in various forms of communication
- Analyze data using various statistical methods
- Provide detailed and accurate reports represented through narrative and/or figurative data
- Create and maintain project data-storage and documentation systems
- Create and disseminate information in various formats including but not limited to reports, presentations, and videography
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person and will be expected to travel occasionally (including rare overnights) at locations elsewhere in Maine (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired.
Education & Experience:
The Research Associate will support MMSA’s projects as an essential team member. The ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, a demonstrated ability to work with both large and small datasets, and skills to communicate findings both internally within MMSA and throughout the STEM education field through journal articles, presentations, etc.
- BA/BS in a field with specified training in qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis
- 5-6 years combined education & experience (Example: Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis—including coursework in statistics, educational assessment, and/or research methodology)
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and manipulate databases and spreadsheets
- Ability to think analytically and with attention to detail
- Capable of working independently and remotely
- Ability to work with project management software such as Microsoft Excel and Word; cloud-based systems such as Google drive, and Airtable; and our video conferencing application Zoom
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as an essential and productive member of a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong technology and software skills and experienceAbility to work on a remote-based team with a wide range of personalities and interests
- Ability to work independently as well as within a distributed team structure
- Preference given to individuals with experience in statistical and qualitative analysis software (i.e. SPSS, Nvivo, Dedoose, Gephi, Kumu)
Full time benefits include, but are not limited to:
- 76-100% Employer Sponsored Health Plans, up to family coverage or optional generous cash-in-lieu
- Employer-paid family dental, family vision, Life, STD, LTD, FMLA and Parental Leave
- Up to 10% 401K match
- 13 paid holidays
- Paid time off for birthday and floating holiday for religious purposes
- 20 paid vacation days
- 15 paid sick days
How to apply: Please send a letter of interest that outlines your experience against each of the selection criteria above and resume by email to email@example.com or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, PO Box 2246, Augusta, ME 04338.
Materials will be reviewed on a rolling basis and should be submitted by July 15th to ensure full consideration.