Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Registration is open!
Free professional development for Afterschool Educators interested in testing an innovative, video-based coaching curriculum in STEM
Space is limited ~ Sign up now!
Use Cohort Code: MX03VR
What happens during the PD cycle:
- Participate in 4 virtual sessions- these are interactive and engaging
- Practice TWO STEM Skills – Learn the art of Asking Purposeful Questions as well as Developing STEM Identity and Making Career Connections
- Post session, practice the skills and record yourself working with youth– you just use a cell phone or an iPad. Recordings need to be only 3 minutes long
- Join peers to receive compliments, feedback, and coaching on your teaching of the targeted skill
- Participate in the evaluation of this pilot project - fill out two surveys to earn a stipend
We’re looking for people who:
- Have consistent interactions with youth
- Are comfortable with recording and uploading videos to secure cloud sharing sites
- Are comfortable with video conferencing or willing to learn
- Have access to high speed internet, a computer, and to a cell phone, tablet or camera with video capability
- Have a willingness to learn and reflect on practice in a cohort of peers from across the United States
What are participation benefits?
- Exposure to current research surrounding STEM education for youth and access to new ways of interacting with youth and other ways to teach STEM skills
- Develop mastery in using technology for learning new skills
- Build relationships with peers who are doing similar work
- Experience personalized professional development to deepen your skills
- Earn contact hours and a certificate of participation
- Receive a $100 stipend for completing two surveys
Want to get involved?
- Registration deadline is December 1, 2017
- There is no fee to participate
All Sessions 12:30 – 2:30pm ET
- On Tuesday, December 12, the group will gather for a virtual workshop on Asking Purposeful Questions.
- You will then record yourself working with youth- we are not looking for perfect video or perfect practice.
- On Tuesday, January 16, you will participate in a virtual coaching session with peers and a coach to discuss your videos and receive feedback.
- On Tuesday, January 30, the group will gather for a virtual workshop on Developing STEM Identity and Making Career Connections.
- You will then record yourself working with youth- this time practicing the new skill.
- On Tuesday, February 20, you will participate in a second virtual coaching session with peers and a coach.
Questions? Contact ACRES