Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
This has been the best investment of my time! I have learned so much about myself as an educator and I have had my thinking challenged, which promotes growth. I feel more passionately about teaching math now, I feel that I understand my students’ needs and can differentiate more effectively.” ~Saralynn Hardy, RSU19
Gaining proficiency requires examining not only what we teach, but also how we teach. MMSA’s consulting services span mathematics teaching methods & practices, the use of data-driven instruction, STEM integration, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) implementation, authentic assessment, and much more.
MMSA can provide your school with targeted consulting & coaching services that support your transition to a proficiency-based system:
- Incorporating the Eight Mathematical Practices: Making a shift from teacher-centered to student-centered math classrooms.
- Learning the importance of Math Discourse, and applying it to teaching practices.
- Using Data to Drive Instruction: A workshop designed to keep the data analysis process on track.
- Math Coaching: Work with our math coach in your classroom on modeling and co-teaching of best practices in mathematics, as well as feedback and goal setting based on classroom observations.
- Orientation sessions for K-12 teachers and administrators, guiding them through the conceptual shifts in the Framework for K-12 Science Education, including the science and engineering practices, as interwoven within the core STEM ideas.
- Demonstrating the overlap between the practices in the Framework and the CCSS-Math and ELA practices and capacities.
- Facilitated time to map current curriculum to the Next Generation Science Standards or the Maine Learning Results in partnership with teachers and administration.
- Working together with teachers to establish content learning standards and competencies that connect NGSS core ideas and practices to district models.
- Providing facilitation as teachers transition from aligning curriculum maps to thinking about instruction and assessment. Moving beyond a series of “activities” that can be considered “the curriculum” to examining instructional practice.
- Orientation on how to turn performance expectations/standards into performance assessments for their units that begins with identifying the standard to be targeted.
This was a wonderful experience! I enjoyed working with others in the district and working through the standards. What a great way to really think about math and making my teaching more purposeful.” Mysti Webber, RSU19
To learn more, please contact Lynn Farrin, Consulting Coordinator.
Workshops & Events
MMSA has been a leader in science, technology, engineering, and math professional development for educators for over 20 years. Our experience in making STEM engaging and accessible for educators and students while driven by learning standards provides a solid grounding to link STEM to proficiency-based education.
MMSA has developed a regional workshop model, where staff provide professional development to groups at low cost. We work throughout Maine and across the country.
I liked the different activities that were presented that I could bring back and immediately utilize with my students. I would like to be able to share with staff members in the building so that they can utilize them as well. I liked that it was interactive and that there was a lot of movement and discussion.” Jennifer French, RSU16
Learn more about our Workshops & Events.