About our research
The ACRES project team is committed to assessing the program’s impacts as well as gathering feedback to continuously improve it. Below is a list of selected publications aimed at a range of audiences, including researchers and educators.
Note: The team’s work in developing instruments and assessment systems for afterschool settings has been recognized by the National AfterSchool Association, through its being honored as one of the Most Influential in Research and Evaluation in 2018.
- Peterman, K., Robertson Evia, J., Allen, S., Byrd, S., Nickerson, B., & Kastelein, K. (2021). Sustainability, Spread, and Shift: Developing a Professional Learning Program for Out-of-School Educators with Scale-up in Mind. In Frontiers in Education (Vol. 6, p. 225). Frontiers. (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feduc.2021.675233/full)
- Cook, K., H. Lakin, S. Allen, S. Byrd, B. Nickerson, and K. Kastelein. 2021. Virtual coaching PLCs in and out of school. Connected Science Learning 3(1). https://www.nsta.org/connected-science-learning-january-february-2021/virtual-coaching-plcs-and-out-school
- Truzansky, T. (2021). Transforming teens: ACRES and workforce development in rural Vermont. Afterschool Today, 12(1), 43. https://mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=63806&i=697024&p=44
- Kastelein, K. (2020, December) Case study: LearningWorks Afterschool program in Waterboro, Maine. Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (https://mmsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Case-Study-LearningWorks-Afterschool-program-in-Waterboro-Maine_Final9-7-21.pdf)
- Karen Peterman, Jane Robertson Evia, Sue Allen (2020, July). Lessons Learned about Virtual Coaching through the ACRES Project, Informal Science
- Chick, P.C., Allen, S., & Cook, K. (2020). Simple strategies for your blended meetings: When we are apart, we can still be together. Informal Science. https://www.informalscience.org/news-views/simple-strategies-your-blended-meetings-when-we-are-apart-we-can-still-be-together
- Lakin H. (2020, October) Finding math learning opportunities outside of homework time. AfterSchool Today. 11(3):20-21. https://mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=675565&ver=html5&p=22
- Martin, K., Jacobson, L., & Peterman, K. (2020). ACRES Virtualizing STEM: Formative evaluation report. Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance. https://mmsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/ACRES-Virtualizing-STEM-Formative-Evaluation-Report.pdf
- Farrin, Lynn (2020, July). A Coach for Every Educator, AfterSchool Today, 11(2), (pp.20-21).
- Brasili, A., S.C. Byrd, and H. Lakin (2018). Virtual Coaching and Video Annotation: Skills- based STEM Curriculum for Rural Afterschool Educators, White Paper, Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance.
- Brasili, A. & Allen, S. (2019, February). Beyond the webinar: Dynamic STEM professional development for online learners. Afterschool Matters.
- Sneider, C. & Allen, S. (2019). Formative assessment of STEM activities in afterschool and summer programs. Connected Science Learning, 11(2). https://www.nsta.org/connected-science-learning/connected-science-learning-july-september-2019/formative-assessment-stem
- Allen, S., Brasili, A., Byrd, S. Chick, P.C., Ouellette, K., & Lobley, J. (2018, March). Adapting video-based reflections to afterschool settings. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Atlanta, GA.
- Allen, S. and the ACRES Project Team (2018). Eleven tips for a better advisory board meeting. Informal Science. https://www.informalscience.org/news-views/11-tips-better-advisory-board-meeting
- Brasili, A., Allen, S., & Foster, M. (2017). The ACRES project (Afterschool Coaching for Reflective Educators in STEM) Evaluation Report 1: Impacts on afterschool educators.
- Brasili, A., Allen, S., & Foster, M. (2017). The ACRES project (Afterschool Coaching for Reflective Educators in STEM) Evaluation Report 2: Reflections of the coaches.
- Lobley, J. & Ouellette, K.L., (2017) Using videoconferencing to create authentic online learning for volunteers. Journal of Extension 55 (5).
- Allen, S. & Ouellette, K. (2016). Building coaching relationships over the internet. AfterSchool Today, 7(3), (pp.12-13).
[Additional publications are currently under review.]