Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) is seeking reliable, analytical, detail-oriented individuals for two internship positions in data science. MMSA (www.mmsa.org) is a unique organization in Augusta, Maine, whose mission is to increase aspirations and improve performance in K-16 STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education, both in and outside of school. Each intern will work on one major research project throughout the summer term and may also participate with MMSA staff on ongoing research projects. The intern will have the opportunity to attend staff meetings and interact with MMSA researchers. Interns will be expected to produce a written report, suitable for conference presentation and/or white paper publication (potentially on MMSA website), as evidence of successful completion of their project.
One of MMSA’s researchers will serve as the intern’s primary mentor, but the interns will interact with other MMSA staff. Potential intern projects for 2018 may include the following:
• Qualitative and/or quantitative analysis of existing project data
• Cleaning and coding of social network data for analysis
• Data management and archiving
• Interns may either be a high school junior or senior or an undergraduate pursuing a related bachelor’s degree whose interests align with a MMSA project.
• Coursework in statistics, educational assessment and/or research methodology
• Capacity to listen carefully and ask clarifying questions
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to think analytically and with attention to detail
• Capable of working independently and remotely
• Experience with statistical packages such as SPSS, R and/or qualitative software such as NVivo
• Ability to work with project management software such as Microsoft Excel and Word; cloud-based systems such as Google drive and airtable; and our video conferencing application Zoom
The internship duration is 6-8-weeks and is located at our office in Augusta, ME. Interns will need to attend a few meetings in Augusta at the beginning of the internship, and the rest of the work can be completed remotely. Interns will be required to attend weekly check-ins either in Augusta or through video-conference with their MMSA research mentor. The internship will start the second or third week of June unless otherwise negotiated.
MMSA will provide $12-$15 an hour for 10-15 hours of work per week for the term of the internship.
If you have questions about the position or application process please email Dr. Scott Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply for the internship program, candidates should submit the following materials electronically to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is May 29.
1. A letter of interest explaining: 1) how the candidate’s experience and skills relate to MMSA’s work; 2) why the candidate would be a good fit with MMSA and our work; and, 3) what the candidate hopes to gain from the experience.
2. Curriculum vita or resume
3. Two letters of reference (one should be from the candidate’s academic advisor, mentor, or department chair).