Your help could further MMSA’s vision of a brighter STEM future for the State of Maine and the nation. Today, I ask you to support MMSA and become a part of the movement to support exciting new ways for our youth to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math.
The Maine Math & Science Alliance (MMSA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that finds inspiring new ways to get people excited about science, technology, engineering and math today, so that our youth can become the innovators and workforce of tomorrow. MMSA supports educators to teach science, technology, engineering and math in more meaningful ways by:
- Developing professional development experiences for K-12 educators
- Conducting research and evaluation of STEM learning experiences
- Building relationships and networks to sustain systemic statewide improvement
Established in 1992, MMSA has a long history of spearheading innovative initiatives in teacher professional development, creating STEM education programs, and engaging students and their families in STEM opportunities. Some highlights from the last 25 years include:
- Working with over 50 districts per year.
- Directly impacting at least 350 educators every year through our programs.
- Being awarded more than $25 million of federal grants to fund STEM professional development and research in Maine.
- Programming that more than 20,000 Maine teachers participated in.
Executive Director Ruth Kermish-Allen leads a team dedicated to excellence in STEM education. Our exceptional staff brings a broad and varied background of teaching, curriculum development, experience providing professional development, educational research, and educational policy work.
Key partner organizations and an exceptionally strong network of advisors, experts, and friends greatly expand this expertise and allow our staff to accomplish even more.
We are leaders in Maine in attracting national, federal and foundation grants, including National Science Foundation, Noyce Foundation, and other key funders who support our work.
In addition to the wide range of professional development we provide, MMSA contributes to innovative research in the area of STEM education, and also provides informative resources online, including a STEM Resource Bank that connects youth and families with engaging experiences in STEM topics.