The Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) is a non-profit organization based in Augusta, ME. MMSA finds inspiring new ways to get people excited about science, technology, engineering, and math today so that our youth can become the innovators and workforce of tomorrow. We lead professional development experiences for K-12 STEM educators and research and evaluate STEM learning experiences. We offer a very inclusive, team-oriented work culture where everyone’s unique identity is valued and respected.
MMSA offers a robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, life insurance, 10% 401k match, and short- and long- term disability. We prioritize a work/life balance in our organizational culture, which results in a flexible work schedule policy, remote and hybrid work options, and generous PTO and FMLA policies. MMSA employees can access learning opportunities (internally and externally) for growth in their roles and across the organization.
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Salary Range: $65,000 – $85,000 dependent on experience
Purpose of the Position
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who enjoys leading a talented team, and has a keen ability to communicate complex and impactful projects and research to multiple audiences. This position will oversee MMSA’s marketing and communications efforts for all audiences, including educators, researchers, policymakers, and funders. In partnership with the ED and leadership team, this position will develop and lead the implementation of a dynamic and comprehensive strategic marketing and communications plan to build and sustain awareness of MMSA’s vision, mission, and programmatic and research activities. The director oversees the incorporation of MMSA’s brand into all fundraising and marketing efforts, monitors local and national trends to inform the strategic direction, synthesizes key data and analytics to drive department activities, and oversees the design and creation of all communications, marketing, and fundraising materials. This is a new position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a brand strategy that aligns with the organizational strategy
- Implement the brand strategy through communication plans to increase a consistent brand awareness and engagement with staff, partners, stakeholders, and the larger community.
- Market projects under MMSA’s umbrella that reach a variety of audiences to increase engagement, scale of participation, and earned revenue
- Market unrestricted giving
- Collaborate with the leadership team and project managers to create organizational and project-specific branding and messaging guidelines
- Leverage marketing technologies to reach diverse constituency groups and target markets, and to deliver on the above items
- Apply data-informed strategies to increase the impact and outcomes of communications and marketing efforts
- Measure the efficacy of the marketing efforts
- Manage a team, including a video media specialist, a social media specialist, a web design specialist, and an events coordinator.
- Optimize the organization’s technology infrastructure in collaboration with the IT Specialist to support the development of integrated, cutting-edge communications and marketing
- Leverage marketing and communications efforts to advance the diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice goals of MMSA’s strategic plan
- Oversee the design, coordination, and implementation of the annual fund campaign
- Assist in the creation and implementation of a development plan targeting unrestricted giving
- Manage the departmental resources that go into the above items including budget, freelancers, consultants and relationships with media outlets
Education & Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or development fields
- At least 3 years of experience leading, managing, motivating, and mentoring a talented team to coordinate successful outcomes
- At least 3 years of experience in the non-profit sector
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills – a clear understanding of science and STEM communication is preferred
- Demonstrated experience designing, coordinating, and implementing marketing and communications plans and branding guidelines
- Demonstrated experience creating materials for fundraising initiatives and managing campaigns targeting unrestricted revenue generation
- Experience implementing data-informed strategies to increase impacts of communications and marketing efforts
- Strong project management skills
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills, with the ability to think strategically in the design and execution of projects
- Demonstrated experience shifting practices in order to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues, news media, donors, consultants, volunteers, and a wide variety of community members
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe, Google products, InDesign, and/or WordPress would be a plus
- Strong graphic design skills would be a plus